ABOUT FOLLOW ARCHIVE CONTACT







Thursday 15 October 2015

BOOK: THE TRUTH ABOUT THE HARRY QUEBERT AFFAIR



Swiss author Joël Dicker created something altogether enticing with his novel The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair. I finished it within two weeks of reading the first page and found myself utterly engrossed, forgetting to shower, staying up until the crack of dawn pouring myself wholly into knowing what comes next. I think that was the most enticing element of the book, the never-knowing-what-comes-next. You are constantly bombarded with new ideas that feel as though are original, but when it comes to the last sentence of the last chapter the realisation hits that Dicker is just an incredibly talented writer with true artisanal skill. Books have always been adventures to me, from a young age, so Dicker's input into my land of adventure was a welcome one. I battled with my understanding and liking of many of the characters throughout, but in the end there was some kind of satisfaction, almost as if I had grown to know everyone.

Described as a "breathtakingly plotted story" it is no wonder that I found myself at the edge of my seat every few minutes with the wicked twists and turns Dicker created. His way with writing and understanding of the audience really inspired me, it was as if every word of every page was meant for you and only you and I craved knowledge of how this was done. I think it all started with the book cover, a bold statement of truth emblazoned in the style of a tabloid, the type of truth you crave knowledge of just because it was presented the right way. Then Dickers introduction of Quebert and Goldman, two likeable, somewhat successful gentlemen and then all of a sudden the scandal. Everybody loves a scandal, and Dicker's was an evolving one.

An element of the book had me questioning my morals. I was enticed by the relationship between Quebert and his too-young love Nola, who, in my mind, had the most beautiful imaginary voice and a sweet ring to her name. The tale of forbidden love and alienation that stems from it is what really inspired me moving forward. I imagine everyone believes these two things are so intertwined they have a love story of their own, and I felt that was something beautiful to be explored. The love story of forbidden love and alienation.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

     HOME